Energy levels

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

NicoJones_1B

Energy levels

Postby NicoJones_1B » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:50 pm

When calculating the frequency of light emitted by an electron, is it helpful to always draw a graph of the energy levels of that electron to help visualize the problem?

Ellen Amico 2L

Re: Energy levels

Postby Ellen Amico 2L » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 pm

I find that it's not really necessary since the question usually just involves the numbers. Just make sure to keep track of which energy level is the final one and which one is the initial, so a diagram might help you in that aspect.

TYun_1C

Postby TYun_1C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:40 pm

I dont't personally draw out the energy levels, but it might help to do so to figure out which is the inital energy level and which the final. This way you don't get confused when you subtract the energies. Hope this helps!

Alexa Mugol 3I

Postby Alexa Mugol 3I » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:43 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle did that in some of the worked out examples to help us visualize what exactly is going on in the problem. I don't think it's necessary to solve the problem, but drawing it out or visualizing it in your head until you understand it will be helpful in comprehending problems the first few times. I also think that visualizing it helps you predict the outcome of the problem (like if the electron drops from n=4 to n=2, you see it's going to a lower energy level and should emit energy rather than absorb it, so the calculated change in energy will be negative).

Return to “Properties of Electrons”