Relationship between Speed and Frequency

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rachelle1K

Relationship between Speed and Frequency

Postby rachelle1K » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:46 pm

On homework problem 1A #3, why does speed not also decrease when frequency decreases? I combined equations to obtain
, with f being frequency and v as velocity. Is it incorrect to combine the de broglie equation with speed of light equation? If so, what is the relationship between speed and frequency as terms of radiation?

sarahsalama2E

Re: Relationship between Speed on Frequency

Postby sarahsalama2E » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Remember that the equation is c=wavelength x (v) ---> meaning that v stands for frequency NOT velocity. Speed and frequency are not related in a directly proportional manner. Increasing the frequency simply means increasing the cycles per second that are happening of the given wave, and decreasing the frequency would mean decreasing the cycles per second that are happening of the given wave. This does NOT mean you are changing the actual speed of the wave. Hope that helps.

EvanWang

Re: Relationship between Speed and Frequency

Postby EvanWang » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm

We assume the speed of light to be constant, so any changes in frequency won't impact the speed of the wave. Also, only applies to particles with resting mass like electrons, not electromagnetic radiation.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Relationship between Speed and Frequency

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 am

as the person above said, de broglies equation can only be used for particles with a resting mass. Since light does not have a resting mass, the equations are not interchangeable.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”