Spin

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eesha Sohail 1D

Spin

Postby Eesha Sohail 1D » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 pm

I understand this is a very broad question, but I was wondering if someone could explain the concept of spin to me. Is it an intrinsic value ascribed to one electron, and can it change? How does it practically affect the atom? And, say, if an electron were to be added to an atom's outermost shell, would it be "rejected" for having the wrong sign of spin? I.e. the orbitals at a certain level are all half-filled w/ positive spin and the added electron also has positive spin.

I'd appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

katrinawong3d

Re: Spin

Postby katrinawong3d » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Electron spin is the intrinsic angular momentum of an electron.

charleejohnson1L

Postby charleejohnson1L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:59 pm

The way I learned it (and I know this isn't very representative of how it actually works, but it's easy to understand like this), some electrons spin clockwise, and others spin counter-clockwise. In order to "have a full set," or "see all angles of the clock," you would need one of each to be in each orbital. I'm pretty sure that spin can change if there's a collision with some other value of momentum, but it makes sense that while forming ionic bonds that an electron wouldn't be able to change its spin state, since it has to fill another orbital and match the other spin state. I hope this helps at least a little. :)

Harry Zhang 1B

Postby Harry Zhang 1B » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:27 pm

It is a value or description of the electron from a quantum view. The spin of an electron is mainly determined by another electron that interacts with it and in the case of an electron in the atom, it would be arranged in a way so that it has the lowest energy possible. That being said, if an electron is "added" to a sub shell that has more than one orbital(subshells other than s, such as p, d, f), the electron would be put in a different orbital instead of being put in the same orbital with the other electron and would have parallel spin, which creates a repulsive force that minimizes the energy of the atom.

ramiro_romero

Postby ramiro_romero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Adding on, once the orbitals in a subshell are filled, the electrons will then start spinning in pairs. It would be done in a manner minimizing energy and it'll probably make more sense when we discuss valence electrons role in bonding.

Ruth Glauber 1C

Postby Ruth Glauber 1C » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:32 pm

I think it involves the electron's intrinsic angular momentum.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”