Homework 1.21?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lillian Xie 1K

Homework 1.21?

Postby Lillian Xie 1K » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Hey! I'm stuck on Question 1.21 from the homework. It states, "From the following list of observations, select the one that best supports the idea that electromagnetic radiation has the properties of particles. Explain your reasoning.
a) Black-body radiation
b) Electron diffraction
c) Atomic spectra
d) The photoelectric effect."
I remember the double-slit experiment we went over in class to prove that radiation has wave-like properties, but what supports its particle-like properties, and how would this concept be demonstrated through any of the above ideas?

Alex Nguyen 3I

Re: Homework 1.21?

Postby Alex Nguyen 3I » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:18 pm

You might've already figured out that the answer is the photoelectric effect. So in the experiment, a certain light (i.e. EM radiation) was used to attempt to eject an electron from a metal. If light were a wave, then simply increasing the intensity would increase the energy. However, increasing the intensity of the light did not result in ejection. Only changing the type of light (lower wavelength) worked. This proves light's particle properties. Increasing intensity just increases the number of particles, nothing more. The right energy is needed before intensity becomes a factor. Hope this helped.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”