Electron model as a circular standing wave

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AnnaNovoselov1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Electron model as a circular standing wave

Postby AnnaNovoselov1G » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am

During the lecture, Professor Lavelle described that an electron can be modeled as a circular standing wave.

Could someone please clarify how this model was derived? I understand that the circular model fits the prediction that waves must be in phase if only certain quantized energy levels are allowed, but why exactly is that the case? Also, if the waves are in phase, why does it seem that the model shows waves out of phase (since it shows portions where the 2 waves overlap and then diverge? Is that just because the 2D representation is trying to show that the wave oscillates in place?

Mackenzie Fernandez 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electron model as a circular standing wave

Postby Mackenzie Fernandez 3G » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:47 pm

AnnaNovoselov1G wrote:During the lecture, Professor Lavelle described that an electron can be modeled as a circular standing wave.

Could someone please clarify how this model was derived? I understand that the circular model fits the prediction that waves must be in phase if only certain quantized energy levels are allowed, but why exactly is that the case? Also, if the waves are in phase, why does it seem that the model shows waves out of phase (since it shows portions where the 2 waves overlap and then diverge? Is that just because the 2D representation is trying to show that the wave oscillates in place?

hi!
So I am not 100% sure how the model was derived. I am also unsure of what you are asking in the second question. From what I recall, the electrons have certain energy levels that dictate what "region" of the atom they reside in. I believe this corresponds to the waves in the model and if they are in phase. I do believe the 2D representation is just trying to show that the e- oscillates in different levels.

Pranav Daggubati 3C

Re: Electron model as a circular standing wave

Postby Pranav Daggubati 3C » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 pm

The part that maybe looked like it was out of phase is just a representation that shows that the electron is not statically fixed to an unmoving orbit. The orbit can manipulate in both direction and amplitude (I think) as long as there is a standing wave.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”