question about circular wave model

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nan_Guan_1L

question about circular wave model

Postby Nan_Guan_1L » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:18 am

attached is a screenshot from lecture 8 when discussing the circular standing wave model. I understand that waves at the same phase could be connected and can become a stable model. But I don't understand how the circular lightwaves are formed here. there was a motion picture showing the circular waves oscillating in class, but why aren't the peak and troughs of the same amplitude? In this picture, doesn't the peaks go up more than the troughs go down? thank you!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 14.36.00.png

Jayasree Peri 2J

Re: question about circular wave model

Postby Jayasree Peri 2J » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:34 am

I think the reason the peaks and troughs look different is because it is stretched into the circle. Imagine a slinky: when it's not stretched out, it looks like each "wave" is equal. However, when you stretch that slinky out into a circle, it sort of ends up looking like it's unequal.

Farah Abumeri 3F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: question about circular wave model

Postby Farah Abumeri 3F » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:17 am

From what I understand, the circular standing wave model explains why electrons have quantized energy states in atoms and that electrons are bound to the atom. I think the important aspect to note is that the waves are all continuous, as in there is no break in the wave, further demonstrating how electrons can only absorb/emit energy in certain, specific amounts and not parts of amounts.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”