Explanation of the Standing Wave Model

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sunny Wu 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Explanation of the Standing Wave Model

Postby Sunny Wu 3A » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:40 pm

What do the waves of the standing wave model represent exactly? I understand the significance is to demonstrate/explain why electrons have quantized energy states in atoms, but I'm confused as to what the wave itself represents. Image

Sera Aintablian 2E

Re: Explanation of the Standing Wave Model

Postby Sera Aintablian 2E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:29 am

In the quantum description of atoms, electrons have discrete energies with only certain wavelengths allowed inside an atom. An electron in this model is represented as a circular standing wave around the nucleus. The difference in the pictures is the important part to understand, I believe. The left one is an allowed energy level, an electron in phase. The right one in an unstable out of phase. It looks the way it does because it tries to model energy levels between n to n.

Kelly Ha 1K

Re: Explanation of the Standing Wave Model

Postby Kelly Ha 1K » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:37 am

I believe the waves themselves represent electron waves orbiting around the nucleus. The standing wave model shows that the electron waves constructively interfere with themselves and create a standing wave, proving that electrons have discrete quantized energies (can only exist in certain energy states).

Return to “Properties of Electrons”