Orbital Energies

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

lwon Dis2I

Orbital Energies

Postby lwon Dis2I » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:28 pm

Can someone break down the symbols and explain to me how this equation is derived?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 2.26.47 PM.png

Jay Solanki 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Orbital Energies

Postby Jay Solanki 3A » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:11 pm

This concept relates to the calculation of electrostatic potential, which i don't think we have to know. We have to be able to relate electrostatic potential energy to ionization energy, but the actual calculation of either is not relevant to the course.

However, if you are still curious about the topic, I am aware of a general trend. Attractions between particles result in a decrease in electrostatic potential, while attractions decrease it.

Kandyce Lance 3E

Postby Kandyce Lance 3E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:19 pm

My question has more to do with orbitals as a concept, but on a recent lecture Professor Lavelle states that "An orbital is a math function with three quantum numbers: n,l,m"
I was a bit confused because I thought orbitals were work functions, not math functions...are they both the same thing, or am I getting it mixed up with a different concept?

Leo Naylor 2F

Postby Leo Naylor 2F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:21 pm

As far as I know, orbitals are math functions which represent the likelihood of an electron being at any given point at any given time. They are math functions because they are three dimensional sine waves.

Helena Xu 3L

Postby Helena Xu 3L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Kandyce Lance 2L wrote:My question has more to do with orbitals as a concept, but on a recent lecture Professor Lavelle states that "An orbital is a math function with three quantum numbers: n,l,m"
I was a bit confused because I thought orbitals were work functions, not math functions...are they both the same thing, or am I getting it mixed up with a different concept?

Orbitals are math functions. Work function was from the photoelectric effect section and refers to the minimum energy needed to remove an electron.

Kandyce Lance 3E

Postby Kandyce Lance 3E » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 pm

Helena Xu 1I wrote:
Kandyce Lance 2L wrote:My question has more to do with orbitals as a concept, but on a recent lecture Professor Lavelle states that "An orbital is a math function with three quantum numbers: n,l,m"

Orbitals are math functions. Work function was from the photoelectric effect section and refers to the minimum energy needed to remove an electron.

Okay thank you, :)

Return to “Properties of Electrons”