Elements with similar number of electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Connie Liang 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Elements with similar number of electrons

Postby Connie Liang 3L » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Do atoms with a similar number of electrons have similar properties in terms of what element they are? Or are the number of electrons in different elements completely unrelated to one another?

Anna Martin 2l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Elements with similar number of electrons

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi! I believe that elements in the same group have similar properties and are grouped based on the number of valence electrons they have, so I believe the number of electrons they have do determine similar properties. Hope this helps!

Sean Wang 1F

Postby Sean Wang 1F » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Ions having the same total amount of electrons causes some similar properties, but they still have mostly dissimilar properties due to the elements having differing amounts of protons and neutrons. These protons and neutrons cause differing interactions between each other and electrons causing differing properties.

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi! The groups in the periodic table and the format of the periodic table itself is designed to group elements with the same valence electrons and increasing valence electrons from left to right. Since they have the same valence electrons, usually the groups will have similar properties.

Kyla Roche 2K

Postby Kyla Roche 2K » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Elements with similar number of electrons also form bonds with more covalent character than ionic character because as size changes throughout period table trends, this means that there is a less tight hold of electrons in larger atoms; more electrons.

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm not sure what your question is really saying since you said similar number of electrons. Since this could technically refer to isoelectronic atoms (different elements that have the same amount of electrons) and elements that are close together on the periodic table (close number of electrons at a ground-state). But I think in both cases the electrons don't particularly change the properties of the elements themselves other than their reactivity with other elements and compounds so the elements still largely retain their properties as unique elements.

Andre Fabian 1F
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Andre Fabian 1F » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:34 pm

I believe so; atoms with similar numbers of valence electrons are organized together in groups (alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, halogens, noble gases, etc.); each group has similar properties (alkali metals being highly reactive with water, noble gases being extremely stable and unwilling to take on or give up an electron given its complete outer shell).

Hope this helps!
Andre

Armen_Isayan_2L

Postby Armen_Isayan_2L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 am

Hello! Elements with the same number of electrons contain the same properties as the number of electrons dictates the chemical behavior of the electrons.

Joanna Huang

Postby Joanna Huang » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi! Elements in the periodic table are general group together, where they share similar properties such as electron number. So yes, electron number does matter.

Susan Chamling 1F

Postby Susan Chamling 1F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Hello! I think that, due to the periodic table being arranged in part by the number of protons the element has, similar characteristics can be noted within a certain grouping of elements. This further plays out in the trends that can be seen in the periodic table, such as the trend of electronegativity increasing from left to right on the periodic table.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”