Covalent and Ionic Radii

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kassidy Patron 1L

Covalent and Ionic Radii

Postby Kassidy Patron 1L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:11 am

Hi! In lecture on Monday, we talked about the covalent radius and ionic radius of atoms. Can someone explain the difference between covalent and ionic bonds, it's been a while since I learned about these topics. Also, do covalent and ionic bonds affect the size of the atom? If so, how?

Meghan Spoeri 2D
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Covalent and Ionic Radii

Postby Meghan Spoeri 2D » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 am

hi! A covalent radius and covalent bond refer to two nonmetals, whereas an ionic radius and ionic bond refers to a metal and a nonmetal. 2 atoms (nonmetals) joined by a covalent bond have a covalent radius, which is half the distance of the covalent bond between the two atom's nuclei. 2 atoms (1 nonmetal, 1 metal) joined by an ionic bond have an ionic radius, which is half the distance of the ionic bond between the two nuclei. I would assume that the bonds affect the size of the atom because they affect the size of the radius and the radius is how the atom's size is measured. Hope this helps!

Alexis Shen 2G

Postby Alexis Shen 2G » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am

I'm not too sure about the radius changing size, but a covalent bond can also mean that electrons are shared equally while an ionic bond means that one of the elements took an electron and the two elements are 'bonded' because they are attracted to each other. Generally, covalent bonds are easier to break than ionic bonds.

Alekhya_Pantula_2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Alekhya_Pantula_2E » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am

Hello! Covalent bonds are the bonds created between two nonmetal molecules where the valence electrons are shared. Ionic bonds are bonds between cations and anions in which an electron is donated to one or the other.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”