Achieve HW Question 16

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Krutika_Joshi_3I

Achieve HW Question 16

Postby Krutika_Joshi_3I » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Hi! The question in 16 in Achieve states:

"In 1913, Niels Bohr proposed a model of the hydrogen atom in which the electron could exist only in specific circular orbits. He did not offer any explanation as to why only those particular orbits would be allowed. In 1924, Louis de Broglie suggested that the electron could only exist in orbits corresponding to certain kinds of wave patterns.
The diagram shows an electron orbit that has been "cut and unwrapped" to better show the electron wave. Atom with a circular electron orbit cut at one point. The cut orbit is displayed as a single, straight line below the atom.Classify the wave patterns according to whether or not they are compatible with de Broglie's description of the allowed Bohr orbits of the hydrogen atom."

Could someone please explain to me what both the scientists meant because I don't understand it?

Allison Peng 1D

Re: Achieve HW Question 16

Postby Allison Peng 1D » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:11 pm

Bohr's model is just specific energy levels without any explanation of the waves, while de Broglie gets into more about the specific wave path of the electrons. Use de Broglie's model to find a solution for the electron behaving as a standing wave with a known wavelength and frequency.

Kevin Zhang 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kevin Zhang 3K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:30 pm

The waves have to constructive or else the electron will desync. the waves have to be at least symmetrical

Albert 1I

Postby Albert 1I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Bohr's model explains that electrons orbit the nucleus in a set energy/size. It also explains that these electrons travel in circular and symmetrical patterns, requiring energy when moving into a higher energy state and giving off energy when relaxing to a lower state. De Broglie describes the specific paths electrons take in different energy levels and have wave-like properties.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”