Carbon Bound to Oxygen

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Carbon Bound to Oxygen

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:32 am

Hi

I was just doing some practice problems and came across a thought. If Carbon were to bind to Oxygen, since Oxygen can carry a double bond w/ 2 lone pairs and Carbon can carry up to four bonds, would Oxygen be able to have 2 double bonds with Carbon and it be considered a full octet?

Thanks.

Maegan Abutin 2C

Re: Carbon Bound to Oxygen

Postby Maegan Abutin 2C » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:58 am

Hi!

It is possible for carbon and oxygen to form a double bond, but not 2 double bonds simultaneously. A double bond between atoms means that they share two electrons instead of one electron in a single bond. If oxygen were to have two double bonds with carbon, it would need to share four electrons. Oxygen has six valence electrons. Therefore, leaving it with two electrons, which is not a stable configuration. The formation of 1 single bond between carbon and oxygen allows for a more stable configuration since they would both have a total of eight valence electrons. This formation follows the octet rule.

Re: Carbon Bound to Oxygen

Postby 305987474 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:44 pm

Oxygen typically forms a double bond with carbon due to the octet rule. Oxygen has six valence electrons and can form a double bond with carbon, sharing two electrons. This leaves oxygen with a total of eight electrons.

Forming two double bonds between carbon and oxygen is less common. Oxygen can satisfy the octet with one double bond, and the carbon usually forms single bonds with other atoms.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”