Ionic Covalent bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Harleen Kaur

Ionic Covalent bonds

Postby Harleen Kaur » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:08 pm

Hello,

How do ionic and covalent bonds differ in terms of when identifying them as a diagram or drawing them out?

Ashley Peterson 2C

Re: Ionic Covalent bonds

Postby Ashley Peterson 2C » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:25 pm

Hello!
To answer your question on how ionic and covalent bonds differ when identifying them visually:
Covalent bonds focus on the representation of modeling shared electrons with atoms of similar electronegativity, often using lines or dots [Lewis structures]. Ionic bonds focus on the transfer of electrons with atoms of significantly differently electronegativity, with resulting ions of positive and/or negative charges [formulas indicating combination of ions].
The distinction between ionic and covalent bonds if not always clear, but the degree of ionic or covalent character will depend on the electronegativity difference between atoms involved.
I hope this helps!

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Re: Ionic Covalent bonds

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:39 pm

ionic bonds are representing through Lewis dot structures to indicate the transfer of electrons between atoms in forming ions. Ionic bonds show complete transfer from one atom to another.
Covalent bonds are represented by the Lewis structure to show electron pairs shared between atoms. Diagrams of covalent bonds show the sharing of electrons by drawing lines between the atoms.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”