Covalent and Ionic Character

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anthony_Imperial_1G

Covalent and Ionic Character

Postby Anthony_Imperial_1G » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Hey everyone. I've reread the book over and over again about the sections dealing with ionic and covalent characteristics. What exactly are the differences between the two and how do you order each one from largest to smallest or smallest to largest? I had trouble with this on my second quiz and i still haven't grasped the concept.

Anwar Harb 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Covalent and Ionic Character

Postby Anwar Harb 3H » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 pm

ionic compounds are typically always stronger than covalent bonds and increase in strength, from my knowledge, by the polarity difference which is related to the electronegativity difference between two elements so for example KBr has greater ionic character than NaBr.
covalent compounds bond strength is also based upon electronegativity, the greater the difference between electronegativity the weaker the covalent bond will be while if the difference of electronegativity is closer to zero or nearly zero the covalent bond is stronger or strongest.

a quick way to know the difference based on electronegativity numbers is that if the difference is greater than 2 then it is ionic and if it is less than 1.5 then it is covalent

Yuchien Ma 2L

Postby Yuchien Ma 2L » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:49 pm

The higher the difference in electronegativity, the more ionic character a molecule has. That's because the higher the difference in electronegativity, the more unevenly the electrons would be shared between them.
Hope this helps!

Patrick Ricaflanca 2H

Postby Patrick Ricaflanca 2H » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:27 am

So is there a quick way to determine the order of ionic/covalent characteristics just by looking at the periodic table?
The closer two elements are to each other in a molecule on the periodic table, the more covalent they are.
The farther they are from each other on the periodic table, the more ionic. Is this right?

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”