"which of the compounds below has bonds with the least covalent character?"
AgI , AgCl, AgF, AlCl3, BeCl2
answer is AgF
why not becl2? it's ionic?

Sandra Maesta 1C

Re: least covalent character

Postby Sandra Maesta 1C » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Hey,
The least covalent character is the most ionic one. The most ionic character is in the compound in which the atoms have bigger electronegativity difference. F is the most electronegative element in the Periodic Chart, which makes it, most of the time, part of the most ionic compounds. Thus, though other compounds are also ionic, the question is directed towards the one with the most electronegativity difference.

michaeljwilson3

Postby michaeljwilson3 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:46 am

So then HCl would have less covalent character than say CF4 right? Or do the 4 F's make any difference?

Meera McAdam 1C

Postby Meera McAdam 1C » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:07 am

Yeah, HCl vs. CF4, I don't know and would really like someone to answer this, please.

Pauline Tze 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Pauline Tze 3B » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:20 am

michaeljwilson3 wrote:So then HCl would have less covalent character than say CF4 right? Or do the 4 F's make any difference?

Hello,

The fact that there are 4 F's does not make a difference to the electronegativity difference in individual C-F bond. That would, however, influence the electric dipole moment and the polarity of the molecule as a whole.

I believe that when we're comparing bonds, we only consider the two atoms that are being connected. So therefore, since C-F has a greater electronegativity difference (4.0-2.5 = 1.5) than HCl (3.0-2.1=0.9) it would have a lesser covalent character.

I hope that helps!

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”