Study Habits  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Study Habits

Postby 104917030 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Does anyone one know any sites or videos that they usually find helpful when they study.
Also what kind of study habits do you guys use and how effective would you guys say it is.
Thanks.

Kennedy Moore 1D

Re: Study Habits

Postby Kennedy Moore 1D » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Honestly Lavelle had the best videos to student and do well on the quizzes, but I like crash course and Khan academy. #sticktothebasics

Sophia Bozone 2G

Postby Sophia Bozone 2G » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:18 pm

It might not be super helpful,because you asked for online sources, but to study I walk myself through the examples in the book step by step to make sure they make complete sense to me before I try the problems in the book. Sometimes the wording of the problems is confusing , but if i have a good base understanding, i get less frustrated when i encounter a problem I don't immediately get.

Jordan Foster

Postby Jordan Foster » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:47 pm

I like to watch crash course and Khan academy as well. As far as other study habits, I like to run through one part of a homework problem, like part a, and then check my answer. If I am correct I continue on to the other parts to reinforce good habits. If I am incorrect, I either read the explanation or look in the book for another example problem.

Wayland Leung
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Wayland Leung » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Mr. Andersen videos are very helpful. But Lavelle honestly has the best tools for you to study and succeed in his class. I would recommend doing all the homework problems and going to peer learning sessions to master the material.

Sohini Halder 1G

Re: Study Habits  [ENDORSED]

Postby Sohini Halder 1G » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 am

Hi! I've been doing relatively well in the class so far and here are the study tips I use:

1) read the chapter AND take notes before you attend the lecture on the same material
-this allows me to have at least a shallow understanding of the material that Lavelle will cover in class
-taking notes from the textbook allows me to have a basis of the material, and during lecture I take notes on the sections Lavelle emphasizes in a different color
-this way, I know everything from the chapter and I also know which material is emphasized and that I should spend the most time studying

2) do ALL the homework (preferably before lecture or at least as you go along the chapter in class)
-I've noticed that when I try to work through the HW after reading the chapter, I start to understand how to apply what I've learned to material similar to what will be on the exams
-This also helps me understand the examples Lavelle does in class!
-if nothing else, this helps me avoid procrastinating on finishing the homework

3) review before quizzes and tests (alone and/or with a group)
-I personally have a hard time group studying unless I've already reviewed the material myself, but do what works best for you!

I hope these study tips help, and cater them to however you learn best! Lavelle has a ton of resources and if you put in the work, you will do well:) All the best!

Shannee Mak 3F

Postby Shannee Mak 3F » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I find that watching many different videos on youtube is very helpful with reinforcing what we've learned. First I watch more general/broad videos that are provided such as crashcourse and then move towards videos that are more applicable and provide examples (khanacademy). A helpful channel I use is also Professor Dave, as he breaks down the material simplistically and uses images. This way of watching videos is extremely helpful if you need to repetitively hear the material and visually see it in order to grasp the concepts.

I also find that copying the lecture notes multiple times helps me with reviewing the material. At lecture I'd right down as much as I can and then later rewrite them more neatly and with color.

Sandhya Rajkumar 1C

Postby Sandhya Rajkumar 1C » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:25 pm

I feel like the most important thing for me in terms of studying is doing all of the assigned homework problems, and making sure that I understand the concepts behind them. In terms of online resources, I really only use the video modules that Dr. Lavelle posted on the website.

Adrian Franco 3H

Postby Adrian Franco 3H » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:00 pm

For me, I thoroughly read the chapter and review any concepts that I have trouble with. I then do several homework problems to ensure that I know the concept and knowledge. If there are online modules, I try to do those as well. Also, browsing chem community regularly throughout the week helps retain knowledge. Watching chem conceptual videos like Professor Dave is incredibly helpful for me as well.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”