determining bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Bautista 3H

determining bonds

Postby Isabelle Bautista 3H » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Is the only way to know whether a compound is ionic or covalent to know whether the elements are metal vs non-metal? Or is there another way to figure it out?

Clara Rehmann 1K

Re: determining bonds

Postby Clara Rehmann 1K » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 pm

You can predict the nature of the bond based on the elements in it and how electrons need to be shared. If both can fulfill the octet rule (or whatever rule they need to fulfill) by just giving/receiving an electron, then it's probably an ionic bond, but if it looks like electrons need to be shared in order for both atoms to fill their valence shell, the bond is most likely covalent.

Isaiah Little 1A 14B

Postby Isaiah Little 1A 14B » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Generally speaking, bonds between metals and nonmetals form ions when they bond, so a metal/nonmetal bond is an ionic bond. A covalent bond occurs between nonmetals, and a metallic bond is a bond between metal elements.

GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 pm

We haven't fully got into Electronegativity yet but as we began to touch on it in today's lecture, Oct 30th Monday lecture, it is my understanding that Ionic bonds see a great difference in Electronegativity where one element in the bond is significantly more Electronegative (meaning it's delta is greatly negative) while the other is significantly less electronegative. Therefore, if there is a VERY large difference in Electronegativity, then the bond may be ionic and if the difference in electronegativty is moderate, it may be more covalent.

Anna Goldberg 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Anna Goldberg 2I » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 pm

You can also look at how electrons are apportioned. If elements share electrons in the bond, it is a covalent bond. If electrons are completely "gained" and "lost" by elements bonded together, then the bond is ionic.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”