oxidation state

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tim Foster 2A

oxidation state

Postby Tim Foster 2A » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 am

What is an oxidation state, and how can chlorine have both positive and negative oxidation states?

Alex Kashou

Re: oxidation state

Postby Alex Kashou » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 am

Oxidation state is basically its charge or the state of an atom when it is not in its ground state (i.e. excited). Chlorine technically can have both positive and negative charges, although you will almost never see it with a positive oxidation state because it has such a large electron affinity and such a high ionization energy.

So basically the oxidation state of chlorine is -1 when it gain an electron and +2 if it loses 2 e- and the pattern is like that.

The homework was just asking a theoretical problem so no need to worry about it too much.

Hope this helped!

AtreyiMitra2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AtreyiMitra2L » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 am

Oxidation state refers to the number of electrons and atom can lose, gain, or share. Cl can have a positive oxidation state of Cl (+7) which means that it looses 7 electrons to fill the octet. It can also have a negative oxidation state in which it gains an electron to fill the octet. While the former is unlikely, it is still possible. It can have 2 possible oxidation states as there are two possible ways to get to an octet.

Aliza Ajmal 1D

Postby Aliza Ajmal 1D » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 pm

To add to the above response, I learned in my biology class that when an atom loses electrons and becomes a cation (positive) then it is reduced. When an atom gains electrons it becomes an anion (negative). When an atom gains electrons, it is referred to as being "oxidized".

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”