different types of bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebecca Doan 2L

different types of bonds

Postby Rebecca Doan 2L » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 am

how do you know if a bond is ionic, polar, or nonpolar?

Ilan Shavolian 1K

Re: different types of bonds

Postby Ilan Shavolian 1K » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 am

I dont know about the polar and non polar, however if the difference between the electronegativities of two bonded atom is greater than two, than the bond is considered ionic. im pretty sure polar and non polar comes down to drawing the molecule and dipole moments, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Erik Khong 2E

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm

A bond is nonpolar if the total dipole moment in a bond is zero. For example, CO2 is a nonpolar molecule. A polar molecule is one that has a nonzero dipole moment. For example, H2O. Both hydrogens have equal dipole moments, but they aren't exactly opposite, so the molecule still has a nonzero dipole moment, making it a polar molecule.

mayasinha1B

Postby mayasinha1B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Ionic bonds usually consist of a metal and a nonmental, or any compound with a difference of electronegativity greater than 2. Nonpolar molecules are ones with dipole moments (differences in electronegativity) that cancel out. Polar dipole moments do not cancel.

Maddie Hong 1I

Postby Maddie Hong 1I » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Just to clarify, although CO2 is a nonpolar molecule, it contains polar bonds. This is because in an individual C-O bond, the dipole moment is not 0 and O is more electronegative. It is a non polar molecule, however because overall the dipole moments of both polar bonds cancel.

Sophie 1I

Postby Sophie 1I » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:36 pm

A non-polar bond has equal sharing of the bonding electron pair and usually takes place between nonmetals so the dipoles cancel and ha a dipole moment of zero. A polar bond has unequal sharing of the electron pair so there is a nonzero dipole moment. Ionic bonds have a difference in electronegativity that is greater than 2.

AtreyiMitra2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AtreyiMitra2L » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Erik Khong 3I wrote:A bond is nonpolar if the total dipole moment in a bond is zero. For example, CO2 is a nonpolar molecule. A polar molecule is one that has a nonzero dipole moment. For example, H2O. Both hydrogens have equal dipole moments, but they aren't exactly opposite, so the molecule still has a nonzero dipole moment, making it a polar molecule.

I think this is a good explanation for polar molecules. But I just want to add on and say that just because there exists polar bonds, it doesn't mean that the molecule itself is polar. In carbon dioxide, while the molecule is non polar, the bond between carbon and oxygen is polar. This is the case because O is more electronegative than Carbon and will therefore pull the electrons more. But because this is occurring on both sides, the dipole moment becomes 0. In general, polar and non polar bonds are covalent. Therefore, ionic can not possibley be either. Bonds are polar usually only between a diatomic molecule. Most other times, the bond will be polar.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”