Memorization of Electronegativity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lauryn Jordan 1F

Memorization of Electronegativity

Postby Lauryn Jordan 1F » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Do we need to memorize the actual electronegativity chart as far as values or is just knowing the basic trend enough?

Annie Lieu-1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Memorization of Electronegativity

Postby Annie Lieu-1H » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Knowing the basic trends is enough. But remember the exception with noble gases too. Like Lavelle said, the only chart we need to memorize is the ligands chart!:)

SamanthaGrohe1B

Postby SamanthaGrohe1B » Sun May 06, 2018 10:46 pm

knowing the basic trends of the periodic table is definitely helpful while memorization of such values would not help with a deeper understanding of the reasons why these trends exist. understanding the basic properties of the elements due to their electron configurations will be much more helpful for the test.

Jennifer Ma 1G

Postby Jennifer Ma 1G » Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 am

In one of the review sessions I attended, some of his previous midterm questions asked which of the 2 elements had a higher/lower electron affinity, atomic radii, etc. Therefore, you don't need to know specific values, just general trends.

Paywand Baghal

Postby Paywand Baghal » Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am

does electronegativity decrease as we go left on the periodic table?

Yadira Flores 1G

Postby Yadira Flores 1G » Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Electronegativity increases across because the element is closer to have a filled orbital. It then decreases down because the valence electrons are further away.

Daniel Cho Section 1H

Postby Daniel Cho Section 1H » Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 pm

For now, you generally don't have to. I asked the exact same question back in high school chemistry and the general consensus is that we just need to understand the general trend of electronegativity and why the trend behaves in this pattern. In cases back in high school, my high school teacher gave me a periodic table that has the values for the electronegativity to further reinforce that we do not need to know the exact values.

I hope this helps. Correct me if I am wrong in certain places.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”