Page 1 of 1

Midterm Topics

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:45 am
by Jacob Samuels 1E
Will we need to know anything from outline 3 for the midterm?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 pm
by Bryan Jiang 1F
The following is from a response from another topic:
Chem_Mod wrote:The midterm will cover everything until end of ch2.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 pm
by Chem_Mod
See my detailed answer at:
Midterm Review Sessions and Rooms https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... ns_14A.pdf

Took me several days to organize and reserve all the rooms.
Many resources to assist everyone.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 pm
by Or Fisher 1I
Just making sure, on the document sent to us by email and posted here, it says Chemistry 14A-1 11am class. Is this for our class or a different one?
Thanks

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 pm
by Chem_Mod
Or Fisher 1I wrote:Just making sure, on the document sent to us by email and posted here, it says Chemistry 14A-1 11am class. Is this for our class or a different one?
Thanks


Typo fixed. 2pm class.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 pm
by alexagreco1A
Chapter 2 includes Zeff which we never went over in class, but is on the Chapter 2 homework. Will this topic be covered on the midterm?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:50 pm
by ElizabethP1L
Are we expected to know significant figures for the midterm exam? Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 pm
by Jack Dias
We do not need to know any details of significant figures outside of the very basics. For example, if we observe the speed of light as 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, then we have 2 sigfigs. If it says 3.00, then it's 3 sigfigs. When there's a situation where there are multiple numbers listed with different amounts of sigfigs (eg 3.00 (3 sf) * 5.0 (2 sf)) we use as many sigfigs as the number with the least sigfigs. I think that's all we should know.

Best,
Jack Dias

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 pm
by Taizha 1C
Does anyone know if we need to know aufbau, hund, and pauli principles?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:17 pm
by Or Fisher 1I
Taizha 1C wrote:Does anyone know if we need to know aufbau, hund, and pauli principles?

Yes, we need to know these.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:50 pm
by RubyLake1F
Do we need to know about why oxygen is an exception when it comes to ionization energy? This was a homework problem but it wasn't something that we covered in class. It also was on the practice "unicorn review" test because on question 6 d it asks you to rank ionization energies of C,N,O, and F from low to high. Instead of going C<N<O<F like you would expect, the answer is C<O<N<F- which is something I don't remember talking about in class.
If we do need to know about this, can anyone explain it?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 pm
by RubyLake1F
I was also wondering if we need to know the various groups of the periodic table? I know we talked about metals vs. nonmetals vs. metalloids in class, but I don't remember discussing groups such as halogens, alkali earth metals, etc.-- however these were in the readings. Is it necessary or even helpful to memorize these groups for the midterm?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:36 pm
by Chem_Mod
alexagreco1A wrote:Chapter 2 includes Zeff which we never went over in class, but is on the Chapter 2 homework. Will this topic be covered on the midterm?


I discussed in class the effective nuclear charge (Zeff) is the net positive charge that outer electrons experience after taking into account the inner electron shielding.

Everything covered in class and the homework can potentially be on tests and exams.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:37 pm
by Chem_Mod
ElizabethP1L wrote:Are we expected to know significant figures for the midterm exam? Thanks in advance! :)


Yes

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:40 pm
by Chem_Mod
RubyLake1F wrote:Do we need to know about why oxygen is an exception when it comes to ionization energy? This was a homework problem but it wasn't something that we covered in class. It also was on the practice "unicorn review" test because on question 6 d it asks you to rank ionization energies of C,N,O, and F from low to high. Instead of going C<N<O<F like you would expect, the answer is C<O<N<F- which is something I don't remember talking about in class.
If we do need to know about this, can anyone explain it?


Everything covered in the homework can potentially be on tests and exams.

Attend office hours, drop-in session, workshp, step-up session, or review session, etc., to discuss this.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm
by Chem_Mod
The online assessments will be very helpful for your midterm.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:59 pm
by DomMaiorca_1I
Will we need to be able to draw electron configurations for the midterm?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:04 pm
by yazminedesan1F
DomMaiorca_1I wrote:Will we need to be able to draw electron configurations for the midterm?

Yes I believe we should know how to draw them or at least write them seeing as we've done so in class

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:35 pm
by Nienjou Claire 1E
Also, does anyone know where we can get practice midterms? Does the test bank have any?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 pm
by yazminedesan1F
Nienjou Claire 1E wrote:Also, does anyone know where we can get practice midterms? Does the test bank have any?

These arent lavelles exams but it is good practice from Scerri! http://www.bruintestbank.com/chemistry/

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:44 pm
by Megan Potter 1G
How far in the periodic table do we need to know for electron configuration stuff? To krypton (so 3d, 4s, 4p)?

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:47 pm
by Phil Timoteo 1K
I believe the midterm will cover material from chapter 1&2

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:11 pm
by yazminedesan1F
Megan Potter 1G wrote:How far in the periodic table do we need to know for electron configuration stuff? To krypton (so 3d, 4s, 4p)?

Im assuming its only up to the d orbital, not the f orbital.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:10 pm
by CarinaVargas1J
On Friday's lecture, Professor Lavelle said that there will be only questions from chapter 1 and 2.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:15 pm
by Yitzchak Jacobson 1F
According to my understanding, only chapters 1 and 2 will be covered on the midterm. I remember him mentioning this in class, during his Friday lecture review.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:41 pm
by Gabi Landes 1-H
Phil Timoteo wrote:I believe the midterm will cover material from chapter 1&2

I also believe the fundamentals section, that was covered on the first test, will also be on the midterm exam!

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 am
by Myles Chang 1B
Will we need to be able to explain the existence of orbitals using the Heisenberg Uncertainity Principle or anything about the uncertainty principle for that matter?

Re: Midterm Topics  [ENDORSED]

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:50 am
by Chem_Mod
All topics and homework listed in Outline 1 (Review of Chemical & Physical Principles) and Outline 2 (The Quantum World) are midterm material.
See my class website for details.

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:51 pm
by Angelica Garcia 1-H
it should only be fundamentals, and chapter 1 and 2

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 am
by Joanna Pham - 2D
Myles Chang 1B wrote:Will we need to be able to explain the existence of orbitals using the Heisenberg Uncertainity Principle or anything about the uncertainty principle for that matter?


We will need to know how to do problems concerning the uncertainty principle, but I am not too sure about using it to explain the existence of orbitals.

Midterm

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:03 pm
by Maldonado3K
Hello there, I am overthinking everything.. but just to confirm.. our midterm is taking place in CS50 correct? Thanks!

Re: Midterm

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm
by NabilaNizam-1K
Maldonado3K wrote:Hello there, I am overthinking everything.. but just to confirm.. our midterm is taking place in CS50 correct? Thanks!


It depends on your last name
A-F at CS24
G-N at Franz 1178
O-Z at CS76

Hope this helps!

Re: Midterm

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm
by Sophie W
Maldonado3K wrote:Hello there, I am overthinking everything.. but just to confirm.. our midterm is taking place in CS50 correct? Thanks!

depends on your last name; check the email he sent out

Re: Midterm Topics

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm
by Sophie W
yazminedesan1F wrote:
Megan Potter 1G wrote:How far in the periodic table do we need to know for electron configuration stuff? To krypton (so 3d, 4s, 4p)?

Im assuming its only up to the d orbital, not the f orbital.


we had f orbital examples in discussion, so i assume you will have to know.