HW 3.39

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Faisal Alshamaa - 1L

HW 3.39

Postby Faisal Alshamaa - 1L » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Write the complete Lewis structure for each of the following compounds: (a) ammonium chloride; (b) potassium phosphide; (c) sodium hypochlorite.

Hello, I am very confused on this question and how to determine if I need to draw a lewis structure for an ionic or covalent bond, and in the case of A and C, it is a combination of both, which i didn't even know was possible. Please help!

Thank you.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 737 times

Re: HW 3.39

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 pm

In both a and c you have ionic compounds which are made of an covalently bonded molecule and an ion. So in a, ammonium is a molecule that is charged and it has the formula of NH4+. This molecule that is covalently bound but has a charge is then reacted with chloride, which is the ionic form of chlorine. This means that as a compound the ammonium would exist as a molecule that is then surrounded by one chloride. The same goes for c. Sodium exists as what is referred to as a counter ion, meaning it is there to balance the charge of the other molecule. The hypochlorite is a molecule that has a formula of ClO-, since Cl and O are so close in EN values they will be a covalently bound molecule. So you would draw the lewis structure of the hypochlorite, which would then have one sodium ion around it to balance the negative charge on the hypochlorite. The only reason that you don't have an covalent bonds in b is because potassium phosphide is just a salt made up of 3 K+ which will be in balance with the +3 charge on the phosphide ion, P3+. Naming common ions is covered in the text book in the fundamentals sections, however, I am not sure if you need to know the names and formulas of these common ions for the test. However, I think it would be useful to know most of the common ions because if you were to see the formula NH4Cl, this is the compound asked for in part a, but there is actually nothing in the formula to indicate that the compound is a salt consisting of NH4+ and Cl-.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”