Help on 3.53

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amanda Cardenas 1J

Help on 3.53

Postby Amanda Cardenas 1J » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm

I need help on 3.53. I'm still confused on the concept of formal charge.
3.53: Determine the formal charge of each atom in the following molecules. Identify the structure of lower energy in each pair. (The structures are in the book)

Alicia Yu 1A

Re: Help on 3.53

Postby Alicia Yu 1A » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:01 am

When you're trying to calculate the formal charge, you want to find the number of Valence electrons the atom owns, and the number of "things" that it has surrounding the atom. By "things" I mean the number of bonds and non bonded valence electrons added up together.
Thus the equation to calculate formal charge is Formal Charge = [# of valence electrons on atom] – [non-bonded electrons + number of bonds]

This Khan Academy video should help as well. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/che ... structures

Daniel Cho Section 1H

Re: Help on 3.53

Postby Daniel Cho Section 1H » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 am

What they mean by lower energy is that which lewis structure is more stable which in turns mean the lower the formal charge the more stable the lewis structure charge.

A good mental shortcut for formal charge is to count the electrons around the atom and subtract the valence electrons from the number of electrons around the atom such as the bonded and lone pair electrons.

I hope this helps. Please correct me if I am wrong in certain places.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”