Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ricardo Martin 1J
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Ricardo Martin 1J » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 pm

What is the difference between ionic and covalent bonds?

Ryan Danis 1J
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Ryan Danis 1J » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm

In ionic bonds, metals and non metals either gain or lose electrons to achieve the electron configuration of the nearest noble gas. Thus, the transfer of electrons leads to an octet of electrons (although there is an exception for H, He, Li, and Be).

Main group metals form cations. They lose s and p valence electrons to achieve the electron configuration of the preceding noble gas.

p-block non metals form anions. They gain p valence electrons to achieve the electron configuration of the following noble gas.

In covalent bonds, non metals share electrons to form covalent bonds; their ionization energies are too high to form ionic bonds.

yaosamantha4F
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:29 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby yaosamantha4F » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:59 am

Ionic bonds are usually formed between a metal and a nonmetal; the metal loses electrons are transferred to the nonmetal so that both atoms can have the same electron configuration as the preceding/following noble gas.

Covalent bonds, on the other hand, involve electrons being shared between atoms to achieve an octet. These are usually between non-metals.

sarahartzell1k
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby sarahartzell1k » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 am

Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons while in covalent bonds the electron is shared

204765696
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby 204765696 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:44 pm

These two opposite ions attract each other and form the ionic bond. Covalent bonding is a form of chemical bonding between two non metallic atoms which is characterized by the sharing of pairs of electrons between atoms and other covalent bonds

Arlene Linares 3A
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:25 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Arlene Linares 3A » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Ryan Danis 1K wrote:In ionic bonds, metals and non metals either gain or lose electrons to achieve the electron configuration of the nearest noble gas. Thus, the transfer of electrons leads to an octet of electrons (although there is an exception for H, He, Li, and Be).

Main group metals form cations. They lose s and p valence electrons to achieve the electron configuration of the preceding noble gas.

p-block non metals form anions. They gain p valence electrons to achieve the electron configuration of the following noble gas.

In covalent bonds, non metals share electrons to form covalent bonds; their ionization energies are too high to form ionic bonds.



Thank you I understand the difference. :)

Brian Kwak 1D
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Brian Kwak 1D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 pm

I just had a question. For Ionic and Covalent bonds would it be specifically one or would it be more accurate to say its one a spectrum? For example a Bond would have more ionic properties than covalent?

Brian Chang 2H
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Brian Chang 2H » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm

404975660 wrote:I just had a question. For Ionic and Covalent bonds would it be specifically one or would it be more accurate to say its one a spectrum? For example a Bond would have more ionic properties than covalent?


Bonding is a spectrum where ionic is "giving" and covalent is "sharing" and depending on the electronegativity of the two bonding nuclei.

As a rough guideline:

If the difference in electronegativity between the two elements is >2 the bond should be ionic.

If the difference in electronegativity between the two elements is <1.5 the bond should be covalent.

Goodluck!

Stevin1H
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Stevin1H » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Covalent bonds are associated with the sharing of electrons between two nonmetals while Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between a metal and nonmetal, which involves lattice energy. Ionic bonds are extremely stronger than covalent bonds because of the smaller distance between Ionic bonds versus covalent bonds The shorter the bond distance, the more energy required to break the bond.

Jennifer Lathrop 1F
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:00 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Jennifer Lathrop 1F » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:25 pm

The book states that most bonds are somewhere in between purely covalent and purely ionic. When depicting these bonds, how does one know when to depict a bond as ionic or covalent when it is in this in between state?

Angela Grant 1D
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:25 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Angela Grant 1D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Jennifer Lathrop 3E wrote:The book states that most bonds are somewhere in between purely covalent and purely ionic. When depicting these bonds, how does one know when to depict a bond as ionic or covalent when it is in this in between state?


The book uses a rough guideline in which a difference in electronegativity greater than 2 is an ionic bond, and less than 1.5 is covalent.

Mallory_Podosin_1H
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Mallory_Podosin_1H » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Stevin1H wrote:Covalent bonds are associated with the sharing of electrons between two nonmetals while Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between a metal and nonmetal, which involves lattice energy. Ionic bonds are extremely stronger than covalent bonds because of the smaller distance between Ionic bonds versus covalent bonds The shorter the bond distance, the more energy required to break the bond.


Why are ionic bonds so much stronger than covalent bonds - is it simply because of distance? Could there be a strong covalent bond that is stronger than a weak ionic bond or is an ionic bond always stronger than covalent bond? I'm pretty sure that I spent all of high school thinking that covalent bonds were stronger so now I need to wrap my head around the truth!!

Yukta Italia 3I
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Yukta Italia 3I » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Mallory_Podosin_1H wrote:
Stevin1H wrote:Covalent bonds are associated with the sharing of electrons between two nonmetals while Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between a metal and nonmetal, which involves lattice energy. Ionic bonds are extremely stronger than covalent bonds because of the smaller distance between Ionic bonds versus covalent bonds The shorter the bond distance, the more energy required to break the bond.


Why are ionic bonds so much stronger than covalent bonds - is it simply because of distance? Could there be a strong covalent bond that is stronger than a weak ionic bond or is an ionic bond always stronger than covalent bond? I'm pretty sure that I spent all of high school thinking that covalent bonds were stronger so now I need to wrap my head around the truth!!


I think I understand where your confusion is coming from because I had the same question. In my biology class I learned that covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds, but this concept applies to ionic bonds in water specifically because they are able to dissolve easily (e.g. NaCl). For the context of Chem 14a, ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds because we aren't referring to these bonds in a cellular/aqueous environment.

Daniel Chang 3I
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Daniel Chang 3I » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Ionic Bonds usually consist of a non-metal and metal that transfer electrons while a covalent bond is between non-metals that share electrons

Megan_Ervin_1F
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Megan_Ervin_1F » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Also, on this topic, do ionic bonds also have dispersion forces?

Lydia Luong 4L
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Lydia Luong 4L » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Ionic--> transfer of electrons, covalent--> sharing of electrons

Karla_Ocampo 4E
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Karla_Ocampo 4E » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi! So there are two types of atomic bonds, ionic and covalent. A covalent bond is two non metals bonding together. An example of a covalent bond is water (H2O). An ionic bond is when a cation (metal) bonds with a anion (nonmetal). An example of an ionic bond is NaCl. I hope this helped!

Nick Bazett 1F
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby Nick Bazett 1F » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:32 pm

How do you determine which compounds have bonds with greater ionic character?

I am Sodium Funny
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 am

Re: Ionic vs Covalent Bonds

Postby I am Sodium Funny » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Ionic: gives up electrons, based on electrostatic attraction
Covalent: Shared electrons between atoms


Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests