Covalent attributes  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew Sun 1I

Covalent attributes

Postby Andrew Sun 1I » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 am

Hello! Could someone explain why going down a family will increase covalent attributes? I think where I get confused is that since the atomic radius is increasing down a family, so that means it'll hold on to the cation with less force, and therefore act like an ionic compound and be more soluble. thanks!

Nicklas_Wright_1A

Re: Covalent attributes

Postby Nicklas_Wright_1A » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:54 am

I think it depends on the family. For alkali metals, what you are saying is true, but for halogens, which form anions, it is not true.

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Re: Covalent attributes  [ENDORSED]

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am

From my understanding, as you go down a family you see that the electrons are held less strongly because the radius is getting bigger. Therefore, when an anion is bonded to a cation, as the anion gets bigger it cannot hold onto its electrons as strongly so the electrons gravitate to a "shared region" closer to the cation, because the negative charge of the electrons is pulled by the positive charge of the cation. As the anion's ability to hold onto its electrons decreases, more electrons end up in this shared region. The shared region is the element of the ionic bond that is similar to a covalent bond, so the more electrons in the shared region the more similar it is to a covalent bond.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”