Electron Distortion definition

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabel Bellon 4F

Electron Distortion definition

Postby Isabel Bellon 4F » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 am

I'm a little confused on the definition for electron distortion. I know it occurs when electrons are less tightly help and is proportional to the polarizability of electrons, but I'm not so sure of its exact definition.

Kevin ODonnell 2B

Re: Electron Distortion definition

Postby Kevin ODonnell 2B » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am

Here's a post from 2016 that I think does a very good job of explaining the concept:

Alex Chen 1B wrote:Electron distortion is when the electrons of the anion are attracted to the cation, which causes the shape of the electron density to change slightly. When we talk about ionic bonds, we usually think it means a bond where the more electronegative atom has completely removed an electron from the less electronegative one. But once the anion and cation are formed, the electrons surrounding the anion will be attracted to the positive charge of the cation. The distortion of the electron density shape leads to an ionic bond having covalent bond characteristics because the electrons are not completely separate from the cation anymore, they are now slightly closer to the cation. The cation is the polarizing ion and the anion is the polarizable ion. The electron density of the anion is the one that's being distorted or polarized.

Theodore_Herring_1A

Re: Electron Distortion definition

Postby Theodore_Herring_1A » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Simply, electron distortion is when the electrons of an anion are drawn to the positive charge of an anion, slightly distorting the electron density. This can give ionic bonds covalent characteristics.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”