Noncovalent Interactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christine Chen 1H

Noncovalent Interactions

Postby Christine Chen 1H » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Can somebody confirm my understanding of the following concept: stability and boiling point increase as the number of noncovalent interactions increase? Are there any additional variables that change?

Raj_Bains_2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Noncovalent Interactions

Postby Raj_Bains_2C » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 pm

This seems correct based on what we have learned so far. As there are more non covalent interactions between molecules, the intermolecular bonds become stronger, causing more stability and higher boiling points.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 367 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Many factors are affected by stability of intermolecular attractions, including but not limited to boiling point, melting point, phases at specific temperature, etc.

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:27 pm

One way to think about it is that with more bonds and/or with stronger bonds, you need to supply more energy to break said bonds. That is why with something like a boiling point, the compound needs to be at a much higher temperature if it has a lot of strong bonds because it requires more energy to be able to break all those bonds and release a molecule into its gaseous state.

Nathan Tran 4K

Postby Nathan Tran 4K » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Another thing to add that I have down in my notes is that greater force in interactions leads to greater melting points. But as reiterated before, your understanding thus far seems spot on!

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”