Determining the Difference between Ionic and Covalent Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

chrisavalos-2L

Determining the Difference between Ionic and Covalent Bonds

Postby chrisavalos-2L » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:12 pm

I was wondering how to determine the difference between ionic and covalent bonds?

Louis Zhao 4C

Re: Determining the Difference between Ionic and Covalent Bonds

Postby Louis Zhao 4C » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm

When determining the difference between an ionic bond and a covalent bond, you first should look at the various elements in the molecule/compound in question. A molecule (covalent bonds) usually is between two nonmetals while a compound(ionic bonds) is usually between a metal and a nonmetal. However, this is not always the case as shown by molecule AlCl3. Also, besides looking at the type of elements involved, you can also look at their electronegativity values. A rough estimate is that if the electronegative difference between two elements in a bond is greater than 2, then its ionic. If the different is less than 1.5. then its covalent.

Postby 404982241 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 pm

If the electronegativity difference between the two atoms is greater than 2, it is likely an ionic bond.
If the electronegativity difference between the two atoms is less than 1.5, it is likely a covalent bond.

duenezjuleny1D

Postby duenezjuleny1D » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 pm

it is easy to remember if you know/understand the relationships between ionization energy, electronegativity, and electron affinity. if the electronegativity difference between two atoms is greater than 2, then the bond is an ionic bond. if the electronegativity difference between two atoms is less than 1.5, then the bond is a covalent bond.

Jane Burgan 1C

Postby Jane Burgan 1C » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am

Will we be given the electronegativities of the two atoms so that we can calculate the difference? Or is it more of an estimate based on where the atoms are on the periodic table?

Jonathan Pai 2I

Postby Jonathan Pai 2I » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:35 pm

It's good to know about the 2 and 1.5 values, but understanding why is a better plan. Given ionic bonds have large electronegativity differences, of course they'll be greater than 2, so knowing bonds that are of an atom on the left and right of periodic table, thus large electronegativity difference, will be ionic. Example NaCl.

I am Sodium Funny

Postby I am Sodium Funny » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:12 pm

ionic bonds are generally between metals and nonmetals

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”