lewis structures for diff bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

connie 2C

lewis structures for diff bonds

Postby connie 2C » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 pm

do we draw lewis structures for both ionic and covalent bonds? how would we draw them for ionically bonded molecules?

Tracey Tran 3I

Re: lewis structures for diff bonds

Postby Tracey Tran 3I » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Yes, we still draw lewis structures for both ionic and covalent bonds. In class potassium chloride was drawn as K+ [ Cl ]-. The Cl has 8 electrons surrounding it.

Deepika Reddy 1A

Postby Deepika Reddy 1A » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 pm

For covalent bonds, the atoms share the electrons so there is a line drawn between them which shows that they are sharing the electrons. For ionic bonds, one atom completely loses the electrons while the other atom gains it. Therefore, for ionically bonded atoms, you do not draw any line connecting them and you add in their charge in the top right for each atom. To separate them, put a bracket around one of the atomic symbols and its electrons.

Jillian C 4C

Postby Jillian C 4C » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Lewis structures are drawn for both covalent and ionic bonds. Ionic structures would have the electrons and brackets of each ion with its charge. Covalent structures can be drawn with lines connecting each other as they share their electrons.

Janet Nguy 2C

Postby Janet Nguy 2C » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:27 pm

We draw lewis structures for covalent bonds with the line to signify that they share their electrons; ionic bonds would be written with a bracket and their charge. An example of a lewis structure with an ionic bond is ammonium sulfate (NH4)2SO4 which Dr. Lavelle drew as an example last week.

Tahlia Mullins

Postby Tahlia Mullins » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:19 pm

Yes, and I agree with what has already been said. Just wanted to add that I find drawing the lewis dot structures helps tremendously with understanding the exact exchange/sharing of electrons that is occurring with each bond!

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”