"Delocalized" Electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janet Nguy 2C

"Delocalized" Electrons

Postby Janet Nguy 2C » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Can someone explain to me what it means for electrons to be "delocalized?" And why electrons are delocalized in resonance structures?

Sanjana K - 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: "Delocalized" Electrons

Postby Sanjana K - 2F » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Delocalized electrons are basically the electrons that aren't fixed to any particular atom or covalent bond. They're the ones that you see go back and forth, from one atom to another, resulting in the resonance structures we see for molecules like benzene (where the double bonds constantly change positions).

ThomasNguyen_Dis1H

Postby ThomasNguyen_Dis1H » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:20 pm

For electrons to be delocalized, it means that the electrons are shared within the entire molecule. In the other examples we have seen,it has always been about electrons being shared between two atoms. For example, the electrons in CH4 are shared between each of the carbon and hydrogen bonds. However, in benzene, the electrons are shared between the entire molecule. This creates a more stable structure which is why resonance structures are stable. We'll learn more about this when we learn about hybridization and pi and sigma bonds.

Tahlia Mullins

Postby Tahlia Mullins » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:39 pm

I agree with the responses already given, but I would also like to add that I find it easier to think of delocalized as a synonym for mobile, meaning the electrons can move around, hence resonance.

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:43 pm

I am also confused. I thought covalent bonds were ones in which the electron was already free to move around, so I am not understanding how an electron can be free to move around the entire molecule instead. What allows it to do so?

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm

ThomasNguyen_Dis3BZhao wrote:For electrons to be delocalized, it means that the electrons are shared within the entire molecule. In the other examples we have seen,it has always been about electrons being shared between two atoms. For example, the electrons in CH4 are shared between each of the carbon and hydrogen bonds. However, in benzene, the electrons are shared between the entire molecule. This creates a more stable structure which is why resonance structures are stable. We'll learn more about this when we learn about hybridization and pi and sigma bonds.

Hi,

Could you explain what it means for electrons to be shared between the entire molecule versus shared between two electrons and why it creates a more stable structure? Additionally, that means that electrons in ionic bonds cannot be delocalized right? Thank you so much!

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”