Explaining periodic trends

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

claudia_1h

Explaining periodic trends

Postby claudia_1h » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 am

There are different factors (increasing/decreasing nuclear charge, electron shielding, increasing/decreasing distance of electrons from the nucleus) that affect periodic trends in ionization energy/atomic radius/electron affinity. I remember talking in high school chem about which of these factors are most important to consider when explaining these trends (like what order of importance to consider them in). However, I do not remember that order... does anyone else?

Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k

Re: Explaining periodic trends

Postby Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 am

I believe that one of the most important factors is the distance the valence electron is away from the nucleus. This is because this affects not only the atomic radius but also the ionization energy and electron shielding. Otherwise, I think that ionization energy and the nuclear charge would be the next two more important/influential factors.

dtolentino1E

Postby dtolentino1E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 am

i think it's less about what factors are most important, and more about what factors are the strongest, i.e. what forces holds the bonds together the best. also, you have to think about how these factors are kind of like products of one another and are interrelated (for example, because of an increasing distance from the nucleus, the e- have stronger shielding)

IScarvie 1E

Postby IScarvie 1E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:51 am

I think it depends on the element but in general, I think I remember size and shielding being more influential on atomic radius than electrostatic interactions between the protons and the nucleus. However, both are important to consider, and I don't think there were any questions in the homework where you had to consider one more than the other.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”