hybrid/line structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

claudia_1h

hybrid/line structure

Postby claudia_1h » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 am

In lecture, Professor Lavelle drew a structure for benzene that he called "hybrid/line structure" or a "resonance hybrid" that looked like a hexagon with a ring in the middle. He said it was a better representation than the Lewis structure because of the experimentally observed bond lengths... How would we know when to use this kind of structure? Is it only when the experimentally observed bond lengths do not match those of the Lewis structure?

Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k

Re: hybrid/line structure

Postby Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 am

Benzene is a unique, ring-like structure that is very common in organic chemistry. I think the reason he showed us the "resonance hybrid" is to illustrate to us that the double bonds don't actually belong to any single pair of atoms. However, for other molecules that have resonance, specifically, ones that will be seen in general chemistry will not have such "hybrids". If you search up pictures of resonance hybrids you can see how they would look for other non-ring-like structures, but to the best of my knowledge, we would not be required to draw them like that.

dtolentino1E

Re: hybrid/line structure

Postby dtolentino1E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am

from what I understand, you can substitute this kind of structure for the lewis structure at any time, because it's an organic compound, and this is just another way of representing the compound. I know he said we wouldn't be doing much o-chem this quarter, so I wouldn't worry about it

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”