Covalent bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sofia Q

Covalent bonds

Postby Sofia Q » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:39 pm

A compound can only called covalent if it does not contain any metals? Or can someone provide an example of a covalent compound that contains a metal?

Andrew Jang 4D

Re: Covalent bonds

Postby Andrew Jang 4D » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 pm

Metals usually don't form covalent bonds because they have low ionization energies, so it's easier for them to release a few electrons in order to become more stable as opposed to sharing electrons.

Emily Chirila 2E

Postby Emily Chirila 2E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:54 pm

A covalent bond is formed between nonmetals. Atoms share the electrons in covalent bonds because nonmetals have too high of an ionization energy to form cations.

Nare Nazaryan 1F

Postby Nare Nazaryan 1F » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:56 pm

As far as we have learned, covalent bonds are only made between nonmetals. However, I did some research and discovered an example of a covalent bond between a metal and nonmetal. Aluminium is a metal but it can bond covalently with chlorine to form aluminium chloride during high temperatures. Aluminium chloride is only ionic in the solid state at low temperatures. So I believe exceptions like this do exist, but we haven't gone that in-depth at this stage and I don't want to make it seem like we need to know this. I think we only need to know the fact that generally, covalent bonds are between nonmetals.

205154661_Dis2J

Postby 205154661_Dis2J » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Usually, covalent bonds are between two nonmetals and involves the sharing of electron pairs between atoms. There might be some exceptions to it, as the individual above stated but mainly, covalent bonds are between two nonmetals.

Sofia Barker 2C

Postby Sofia Barker 2C » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Covalent bonds are formed between nonmetals because nonmetal atoms are not strong enough to take an electron away from the other atom involved. A covalent bond is simply a bond created by the sharing of electrons between two atoms. Metals form ionic or metallic bonds because they don't have a strong hold over their electrons and thus have low ionization energy, making it easy for atoms with high electronegativity to take their electrons and form an ionic bond.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”