"Primarily Ionic" Bonds (HW 2D.3)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

"Primarily Ionic" Bonds (HW 2D.3)

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I hope you're all doing well! I have a question regarding the homework problem 2D.3. This problem asks "Which of these compounds has bonds that are primarily ionic? a) BBr3 b) BaBr2 c) BeBr2." The correct answer is BaBr2 because it has the greatest electronegativity difference. I understand why this is correct, but I don't understand why BeBr2 is not primarily ionic? Ba and Be have the same number of valence electrons and are in the same group. I understand that Ba and Br have the largest electronegativity difference, but isn't there still an electronegativity difference between Be and Br? Please let me know what you think. Thank you so much and I hope you have a great weekend!

-Rebecca

Ethan Lam 4A

Re: "Primarily Ionic" Bonds (HW 2D.3)

Postby Ethan Lam 4A » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:54 pm

It is because the electronegativity difference between Ba and Br is greater than or equal to 2 which marks if it has definite ionic properties.

claribel charway 1I

Re: "Primarily Ionic" Bonds (HW 2D.3)

Postby claribel charway 1I » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:55 pm

There is still an electronegative difference between Be and Br but it isn't as great as the one between Ba and Br. I believe that's why you would regard BaBr2 as primarily ionic

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”