Distortion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aayush Patel 3B

Distortion

Postby Aayush Patel 3B » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Can someone explain further how highly distorted electrons are highly polarizable? I'm not exactly sure what distorted means in this case.

John Arambulo 1I

Re: Distortion

Postby John Arambulo 1I » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Anions are generally much larger than cations because they gain electrons to attain the octet, and we already know that anions are negative ions while cations are positive ions. When a cation gets closer to the vicinity of an anion, the positive charge distorts the electron cloud of the negatively charged anion. Since anions have more electrons, other ions would affect its electron cloud because the electrons are spread out, so they can be distorted.

Brittney Hun 2C

Postby Brittney Hun 2C » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Polarizability measures how easily an electron cloud distorted by an electron field (typically caused by cation and anion). If the electron cloud is easy to distort, it's polarizable.

Brittney Hun 2C

Postby Brittney Hun 2C » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Polarizability measures how easily an electron cloud distorted by an electron field (typically caused by cation and anion). If the electron cloud is easy to distort, it's polarizable.

kristi le 2F

Postby kristi le 2F » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 pm

When a cation exerts an electrostatic attraction on the electrons surrounding the anion, the anion's electrons are pulled into the Bonding region/internuclear area. When there is electron density in the region between the nuclei, the spherical electron cloud of the anion is no longer spherical due to it being distorted in the direction of the cation. Therefore, the bond has more covalent character.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”