Solid v. Liquid v. Gas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ShreyaKannan1B

Solid v. Liquid v. Gas

Postby ShreyaKannan1B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:49 pm

How can you tell if a certain molecule is a solid, liquid, gas, or aqueous? I think Prof Lavelle went over it in a lecture but I didn't understand and know that it's related to bonding, if someone could just clarify?

Donavin Collins 1F

Re: Solid v. Liquid v. Gas

Postby Donavin Collins 1F » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 pm

From my knowledge, I believe that the state of the element is info that is given.

Jessica Chen 2C

Postby Jessica Chen 2C » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 pm

I think it will typically be given to us. Perhaps in some cases, with common substances like water, they might give us a temperature and expect us to know the state. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we aren't expected to know this? Maybe look at bond strengths, and just know that the stronger the intermolecular bonds, the higher the melting/boiling point.

Michelle N - 2C

Postby Michelle N - 2C » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm

As of right now, I think it would be given to us, but I would assume that in the future, we'd have to learn it ourselves...

Kinda like how it was H2O (g) for combustion (burning).

Elena Bell 1C

Postby Elena Bell 1C » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:25 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle was also talking about elements at room temperature. Usually I think they would tell you but if not Mercury and Bromine are the only elements that are liquids at room temperature. The metals and some nonmetals would be solid, and the Noble Gases, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Fluorine, and Chlorine are gases at room temperature.

Mitchell Koss 4G

Postby Mitchell Koss 4G » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am

Also guessing which state an element/compound is usually works if you are unsure.

Jasmine Vallarta 2L

Postby Jasmine Vallarta 2L » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 am

Usually it's given, but if it's something we should know, like a hydrocarbon combustion reaction, then we should know the products are h2o (g) + co2 (g)

Maya Beal Dis 1D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Maya Beal Dis 1D » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 pm

In terms of bonding, the stronger the bonds between molecules the more solid a structure it will form, meaning stronger bonds are created in the formation of solids than liquids and liquids than gases. Varying viscosity in liquids is also caused by bond strength.

Kellylin_4D

Postby Kellylin_4D » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 pm

It is not something we will solve but will be given to us. In relation to bonding, the states have to do with polarizability and bond strength. As we go down a row, the polarizability increases because the size increase, and there's more electrons that is farther from the nucleus, which makes an atom more partial negative. Therefore, the interaction forces get's stronger as we go down the row. In weaker interactions, it is easier to break apart, hence, lower boiling point, and in stronger interactions, it is more difficult to break apart, hence, higher boiling point.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”