Is ionic or covalent stronger?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Julia Mazzucato 4D

Is ionic or covalent stronger?

Postby Julia Mazzucato 4D » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm

I've found conflicting answers on the internet so I wanted to ask here. I was always taught throughout high school that covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds. But I came across a question in the textbook asking which of two substances would have a higher boiling point and I know that it has to be the one with the stronger bond. One of them is covalent HCl and the other is ionic NaCl. I googled which was stronger and I found some people saying ionic is stronger and some people saying covalent is stronger. And now i'm just confused.

Jessica Castellanos
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Is ionic or covalent stronger?

Postby Jessica Castellanos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 pm

I always heard that ionic bonds are stronger, ion-ion bonds are stronger than ion-dipole, dipole-dipole, H bonds, London dispersion forces, and dipole-induced dipole as well.

jisulee1C

Postby jisulee1C » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 pm

It depends on the situation. In biology you hear that covalent bonds are stronger because you are usually comparing covalent bonds with ionic bonds in water. When ionic bonds are in water they are much weaker. However, in chemistry you usually say that ionic bonds are stronger because they are harder and take more energy to break than covalent bonds when they are not dissolved in a solution.

Cynthia Gong 1L

Postby Cynthia Gong 1L » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 pm

ionic bonds are stronger because the molecules will form a tightly knit crystal lattice structure that is extremely strong.

Mai V 4L

Postby Mai V 4L » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Cynthia Gong 1L wrote:ionic bonds are stronger because the molecules will form a tightly knit crystal lattice structure that is extremely strong.

so then should we always assume that salts are stronger than covalent bonds? does that change when they are in aq solution?

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”