Ionic Bonding Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Ionic Bonding Question

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:36 pm

I believe this was in lecture but I somehow missed it and can't find it anymore so I just wanted to confirm-
elements on the periodic table that are further apart from each other are more likely to form an ionic bond, correct? From my understanding, these elements would have very different electron affinities which would make them more likely to form ionic bonds. Please let me know if this is correct! Thanks!

Kaley Qin 1F

Re: Ionic Bonding Question

Postby Kaley Qin 1F » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Yeah, that's right. The nonmetals on the rightmost side of the periodic table are more likely to lose electrons while the metals on the left side are more likely to gain electrons. Thus, when the nonmetals and metals make a compound, they will have a complete electron transfer to make an ionic bond.

Marley Magee 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Marley Magee 3A » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:49 pm

I think you might have that backwards. It was my understanding that the nonmetals are the ones that gain electrons while the metals lose them, making the nonmetal the anion and the metal the cation.

Yichen Fan 3A

Postby Yichen Fan 3A » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:32 pm

Yes, ionic bonds are typically formed by elements from two sides of the periodic table. Different types of bonds between atoms are determined by their difference in electronegativity, halogens usually have very high electronegativity so they gain electrons and metals have low electronegativity therefore they lose electrons.

Jayden_Yamasaki_2J

Postby Jayden_Yamasaki_2J » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:24 am

The elements in groups 1 and 2 have a lower electron affinity and therefore want to lose electrons and become cations. The elements on the far right side of the periodic table have a much higher electron affinity and want to gain electrons in order to form an octet, so they are likely to form ionic bonds with the metals on the left side of the periodic table.

Katherine_Douglas_1F

Postby Katherine_Douglas_1F » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:54 pm

The elements on the right (nonmetals) gain electrons, becoming anions (negatively charged). The elements on the left (metals) lose electrons, becoming cations (positively charged). This is because the nonmetals are more electronegative than metals, meaning they hold onto their electrons more tightly. One way I use to remember this is that anion starts with "an" as in "a negative" and anions are negatively charged.

Xavier Herrera 3H

Postby Xavier Herrera 3H » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm

The elements on the right are nonmetals, which are very electronegative due to their closeness to the noble gases. This causes them to gain electrons, becoming anions (negative). The elements on the left are metals, which are less electronegative since they can get closer to noble gas valence electrons by losing electrons, becoming cations (positive).

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”