Lengths of Single & Double Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabel_Eslabon_2G

Lengths of Single & Double Bonds

Postby Isabel_Eslabon_2G » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 am

I don't remember if Lavelle spoke on this already, so I will just ask about it here.
If we are asked about lengths of single & double bonds on exams, do we need to memorize common ones (like C=C, or C-H) or will they be given in the question? Or do we get a reference chart for it?

Anna Yakura 2F

Re: Lengths of Single & Double Bonds

Postby Anna Yakura 2F » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:21 am

I don't think we would ever have to memorize these, I think in lecture the professor said he looked them up as well. I wouldn't worry about it! If there is a question on it the lengths will be given. However, we may be asked to compare the lengths of bonds (a single vs a double, for example).

Kristina Krivenko 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kristina Krivenko 3I » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:33 am

I don't think we need to memorize them, so I believe if we would need them to solve a problem, they'd be given in the question.

However, it's useful to know the general correlation that as the number of bonds increases, the length of the bonds decreases. For example, a double bond is shorter than a single bond, and so on.

Rose_Malki_3G

Postby Rose_Malki_3G » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:22 am

I do not think we will have to memorize these values (just remember that single bond is longer than double bond)

Emma Ide 2E

Postby Emma Ide 2E » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am

So far, we do not need to memorize them yet. In the lecture, he said he had looked them up when he gave us the values, so I think we will either be given the lengths or later be told to memorize them.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”