Difference between ionic bonding and ion-ion interactions?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brian Bui 3H

Difference between ionic bonding and ion-ion interactions?

Postby Brian Bui 3H » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:59 am

What is the difference between ionic bonding and ion-ion interactions (if any)? I know that ionic bonding is a form of intramolecular force, but I'm not sure what the distinction is between this and ion-ion interactions, as ion-ion interactions were "introduced" along with the rest of the intermolecular forces.

Thank you!

Marisa Gaitan 2D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Difference between ionic bonding and ion-ion interactions?

Postby Marisa Gaitan 2D » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:06 pm

The basic difference is that ionic bonds occur between atoms that form a salt, like you said, it is intramolecular. Ion-ion interactions are not necessarily bonds, but rather interactions because they occur when charged molecules themselves interact, so intermolecular forces. That is the basic difference, ionic bonds form molecules while ion-ion interactions are more like attractive forces that align these charged molecules.

Zach Richardson 2f

Postby Zach Richardson 2f » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:05 pm

I am also confused about this because in the lecture on Monday, Dr. Lavelle listed the Na+ Cl- reaction under ion-ion interionic attractive forces, when I thought these two formed an intraionic ionic bond.

Ke Huang 2G

Postby Ke Huang 2G » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 pm

Ionic bonds refer to the interaction within one molecule. Ion-ion interactions refer to the interactions between two ions or two molecules.

JaesalSoma1E
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby JaesalSoma1E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:59 am

Ionic bonding is within one compound, like the bonding of Na+ and Cl-. Ion-ion interactions would be the attractive force felt between two oppositely charged ions, that aren't bonded together yet.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”