Orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

BaileyB1F

Orbitals

Postby BaileyB1F » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:31 pm

How does Schrodinger's equation relate to orbitals?
Someone explained this to me before in a tutoring session, but I still don't understand it.

Edward Tang 1k
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Orbitals

Postby Edward Tang 1k » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:47 pm

schrodinger's equation gives the wave function that describes the states of a quantum mechanical system. It relates to orbitals in that once you square the function, the wave function represent the probability of finding an electron at a giving position. At a peak of the wave function there is a high probability of finding an electron(electron density) and therefore that location can be described as an orbital.

SophiaJenny3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby SophiaJenny3I » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Basically, it's how scientists figured out the characteristics of orbitals in the first place and proved them. Schrodinger's equation show's us the wave function of an electron. Also, from the wave function squared, we see a probability plot which represents how electrons are present in the orbitals. For example, in the s orbital, it's graphed as a sphere, which means there is an equal probability of e- being anywhere in the s orbital. When you look at the p orbital and and see the "infinity sign" shape essentially (3d 2px, 2py, and 2pz), as you get closer to the nodes where the infinity sign crosses there is a lower probability of finding an electron. When you see a peak, there is a high probability of finding an electron. Hope this helps and references what you were asking about! Also, these wave functions have helped scientists figure out the quantum numbers, the first 3: n, l, and ml. Remember ms was separate from this!

Izamary Marquez 2H

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:21 pm

With regards to Carbon, Lavelle mentioned that e- occupy the 2Px1 orbital and then occupy the 2Py1 orbital... Is this always the case? Or does this only happen when it comes in contact with a certain atom/molecule?

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”