How do Total energy from bonds work ?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JasmineChavez 1E

How do Total energy from bonds work ?

Postby JasmineChavez 1E » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:47 am

So when a chemical bond forms the resulting arrangement of the two nuclei and their electrons had a lower energy than the total energy of the separate atoms. I could totally mesmerize this fact, but I want to know why and what happens that makes this so

Alex Nguyen 3I

Re: How do Total energy from bonds work ?

Postby Alex Nguyen 3I » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Well, reactivity is typically from atoms without a full valence shell. Therefore in the case of both covalent and ionic bonding, if an octet or another desired number of E is satisfied, the atom will be less likely to react in order to achieve this completeness. For ionic bonds, I know a large amount of energy is given off when the ionic solid is formed as opposed to when the separate ions exist. Anions give off E when they are formed and cations take up E when they are formed. More E is taken than given off. However, when the ions combine to form a crystalline for example, the amount of energy that is given off is much more than the E that was required/taken up/absorbed to make that cation. Therefore in the end, a lower E is achieved by the solid than the separate ions. Hope this helps.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”