Cation size and covalent character

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kelly Yun 2I

Cation size and covalent character

Postby Kelly Yun 2I » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi, can someone explain the relationship between cation size and covalent character (solubility)? I only remember taking notes on the changes of halide anions affecting solubility.

Yuelai Feng 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Cation size and covalent character

Postby Yuelai Feng 3E » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 am

Hi! Cations with higher polarizing power (which are smaller & with higher charge density) tend to form bonds with more covalent characters. This is because the cation exerts higher electrostatic attraction on the electrons surrounding the anion, causing them to delocalize and form something similar to a shared e- pair in a covalent bond. Usually, the more covalent character a chemical has, the less soluble it is. Hope it helps!

Kelly Yun 2I

Postby Kelly Yun 2I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Oh, I see so size of cations and polarizing power and size of anions and polarizability are the opposite right? Thanks!

Brennan McGurrr 3C

Postby Brennan McGurrr 3C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Yes they are opposite. Polarizing power measures a cation's ability to distort electron clouds, while polarizability measures an anion's ability to have its electron clouds distorted.

Kelly Ha 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kelly Ha 1K » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Kelly Yun 3K wrote:Oh, I see so size of cations and polarizing power and size of anions and polarizability are the opposite right? Thanks!

Yes, larger anions have greater polarizability and smaller cations have greater polarizing power.

Kelly Yun 2I

Postby Kelly Yun 2I » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Kelly Ha 2L wrote:
Kelly Yun 3K wrote:Oh, I see so size of cations and polarizing power and size of anions and polarizability are the opposite right? Thanks!

Yes, larger anions have greater polarizability and smaller cations have greater polarizing power.

Okay, thank you so much :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”