More Covalent

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karina Rodriguez 2H

More Covalent

Postby Karina Rodriguez 2H » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:15 pm

How would I tell which combination of elements would form a stronger covalent bond than another combination?

Minahil_Tufail_3I

Re: More Covalent

Postby Minahil_Tufail_3I » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 pm

To determine which is the strongest covalent bond of a set of different combinations, you could look at the bond length and the bond order. For example, if one of the molecules has a double bond, then that would be a stronger covalent bond than a molecule held together by a single bond. In another instance, if they are both single bonds, you could look at the atomic radii of the elements— the larger the atomic radii, the longer the bond length, and the weaker the bond will be. Hope this helped!

Jade_Tai_2L

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:27 pm

The strength of a covalent bond increases as the number of bonds increase (i.e: in order of decreasing to increasing strength: single bond < double bond < triple bond). If the molecules you're comparing both have the same amount of bonds, you'd refer to the size of the molecule, so the larger the atom is the longer the bond will be, and therefore it will be weaker.

Jade_Tai_2L

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:27 pm

The strength of a covalent bond increases as the number of bonds increase (i.e: in order of decreasing to increasing strength: single bond < double bond < triple bond). If the molecules you're comparing both have the same amount of bonds, you'd refer to the size of the molecule, so the larger the atom is the longer the bond will be, and therefore it will be weaker.

Kelly Tran 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

To determine if a covalent bond is strong, you can determine how many bonds the molecule has. Triple bonds indicate the strongest bond, double bonds indicate a stronger bond, and single bonds are the weakest bonds. You can also use the atomic radius to determine the bond length as well. For example, the smaller the atomic radius, the shorter the bond, which means the bond would be the strongest. Conversely, the larger the atomic radius, the longer the bond, which means the bond would be the weakest.

Lung Sheng Liang 3J

Postby Lung Sheng Liang 3J » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:17 pm

You can look at the length of the bonds (more bonds have shorter lengths), and whichever combination has the shorter bond length is more covalent

Heather Szeszulski 1I

Postby Heather Szeszulski 1I » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

the more covalent a bond is the more it has, triple being the strongest. Also you can look at bond length meaning the shorter the length the strongest.

Postby 105618850 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:12 am

The strength increases with the number of bonds. You can also determine the strength by observing the molecular structure of a molecule. By examining the bond length, shortest being the strongest, you can determine the bond strength fairly easily.

Joshua Chung 2D

Postby Joshua Chung 2D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 pm

You can either look at the number of bonds formed (more bonds=more covalent) or the bond length (shorter=more covalent).

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”