Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nivi Ahlawat 3I

Postby Nivi Ahlawat 3I » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi, I have a question about 3.79. The question says:
"Compounds having bonds with a high covalent character tend to be less soluble in water than similar compounds that have low covalent character. Use ekectonhgatives to predict which of the following compounds is the more soluble in water: (a) AlCl3 or KCl."

From my understanding, the electronegativity difference between K and Cl is greater than that between Al and Cl, so shouldn't AlCl3 be more soluble? The answer key says KCl should be more soluble.

Thanks!

Yvonne Tran 2F

Re: 3.79

Postby Yvonne Tran 2F » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 pm

Nivi Ahlawat 1K wrote:Hi, I have a question about 3.79. The question says:
"Compounds having bonds with a high covalent character tend to be less soluble in water than similar compounds that have low covalent character. Use ekectonhgatives to predict which of the following compounds is the more soluble in water: (a) AlCl3 or KCl."

From my understanding, the electronegativity difference between K and Cl is greater than that between Al and Cl, so shouldn't AlCl3 be more soluble? The answer key says KCl should be more soluble.

Thanks!

The question tells you that compounds having bonds with high covalent character tend to be less soluble in water. Al3+ from AlCl3 has higher polarizing power than K+ from KCl because it's smaller and has a higher charge. Higher polarizing power results in ionic bonds with higher covalent character. Since AlCl3 has higher covalent character, it is less soluble in water than KCl.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”