Noble Gas Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kassandra Javier 2D

Noble Gas Reactions

Postby Kassandra Javier 2D » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Are there any cases at all in which a noble gas will form a molecule or compound with another element? Also, why are some noble gases diatomic if they are said to be stable naturally?

Nika Kononov 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Noble Gas Reactions

Postby Nika Kononov 3E » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:03 pm

I think noble gases can theoretically form a bond with other elements but it would take a lot more energy to make that happen and the result wouldn't be stable at all. As for the second question, I don't think any of the noble gases are diatomic but I might be wrong.

Baffour Adusei 1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Baffour Adusei 1L » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:38 pm

The noble gases tend not to form ions because of their arrangement of their electrons, which makes them generally unreactive. I think noble gas compounds is more of a theoretical concept. I also don't believe any of the noble gases are diatomic.

Postby 105691548 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Typically, noble gases do not form a molecule or compounds with other elements due to the electrons in the subshells and if it were to happen the reaction would not be stable or neutral. As far as I know, no noble gases are diatomic. The only diamotic elements are Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Flourine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine, Iodine, and Bromine.

Neelaj Das 3I

Postby Neelaj Das 3I » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:14 pm

In nature, typically it's very rare to see a noble gas react with any other atom because noble gases have a full valence shell and are extremely stable. They don't need to react with other atoms. Also, I'm not sure where you saw some noble gases are diatomic, but from my experience they're typically not diatomic because as I said, they're stable enough to exist as monoatomic gases.

Kimia Rategh 2A

Postby Kimia Rategh 2A » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi!

Similar to what others have stated, I don't believe that any noble gases are diatomic. Most elements that are diatomic do so in order to obtain a more stable state through the formation of bonds to make their valence shells more stable. Since noble gases already have full valence energy shells they do not need to form diatomic molecules. Additionally, I do think noble gas reactions can take place, but if I believe in lecture it was noted that it would require a great deal of energy.

Hope this helps!

Gabriel Wolf 3I

Postby Gabriel Wolf 3I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:45 am

Kassandra Javier 1A wrote:Are there any cases at all in which a noble gas will form a molecule or compound with another element? Also, why are some noble gases diatomic if they are said to be stable naturally?

Noble gases have ionization energy, but it is extremely high. Technically it would be possible if the energy required was supplied, but it presumably would not happen naturally. I am not sure where you saw diatomic noble gases, but that should not be how they're found naturally.

Sean Sanders 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sean Sanders 1E » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:54 am

I believe in theory it is possible for noble gases to form molecules and compounds, but since they have such a high ionization energy, they will likely never do so in nature.

Zechuan Rao 1K

Postby Zechuan Rao 1K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Heavier noble gas may form compound with elements with high electronegativity. ex. F atoms attracts all or some of Xe's valence electron forming a stable substance XeF6.
Rare, but possible and stable.

Alyssa Cua 2J

Postby Alyssa Cua 2J » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi Kassandra!
Noble gasses tend not to form a molecule or compound with other elements because of their full valence shell. If they did, it would be extremely unstable. This also explains why they are not diatomic.

Preethika Praveen 2G

Postby Preethika Praveen 2G » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi! Noble gases have a full valence shell of electrons, making them chemically stable and unreactive. In addition, since noble gases have high ionization energy it would be very unlikely for them to form a molecule or compound. Also, since noble gases have full valence shells, they do not form diatomic molecules.

Junyong Wu

Postby Junyong Wu » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:27 pm

It requires extremely high energy for noble gas to form a molecule or compound. And none of them is diatomic.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”