Why a full shell?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RJ Mathews 1K

Why a full shell?

Postby RJ Mathews 1K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:11 pm

I don't know if we'll cover this in class, but I was wondering why atoms favor complete orbitals of electrons. I understand that they are more stable because they have the least energy, but what makes them so stable?

Does the electron-electron repulsion in all of the different suborbits just balance itself out? I was also thinking it could have something to do with the resistance of adding a new electron to the complete shell, because it would be far away from the nucleus.

Warren Jolicoeur 1B

Re: Why a full shell?

Postby Warren Jolicoeur 1B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:04 pm

My theory (and i could be completely wrong) has to do with the orbital space. When dealing with S & P subshells, I think atoms want to have a full shell because it locks them in place so to speak. Electrons wont move from orbital to orbital and things become less chaotic. therefore lower energy. The electrons chill out. I also think this is why the D orbital is so unique. Something about it allows elements to exist without being in bonded states. Look at gold for example. Something about the D orbital creates the sea of electrons. maybe its that doughnut shaped orbital?

Postby 505739628 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 pm

My answer is also just a theory of how I've visualized it over the last few years. I've always thought the reason atoms favor full shells is because they really want to be stable, and to do this, they need to fill their shell so that they aren't reacting with other atoms trying to gain or lose electrons. I guess it sounds counterintuitive, but I think they react to eventually reach a state where they don't need to react and are stable elements with every shell filled. I think the person above me said it perfectly with the phrase "locked in place" because I see it as something that kind of clicks into place once all the shells are filled!

Aneesha_Nema_3C

Postby Aneesha_Nema_3C » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Similar to the last 2 replies, my answer is just a theory but to me, stability just means that the atoms aren't reactive. I believe that atoms are more stable with a full outer shell because they don't have to react with other atoms in order to fill their orbitals. Noble gases don't react with other chemicals because the electrons from other chemicals can't fall in anywhere, because all of their orbitals are already full. They are stable in their ground-state, implying that they can exist as-is.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”