What makes an ionic bond stronger than a covalent bond?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kainath Kamil Dis 2K

What makes an ionic bond stronger than a covalent bond?

Postby Kainath Kamil Dis 2K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:42 pm

I know that an ionic bond is stronger than a covalent bond, but why are differences in charges a bigger attraction than sharing electrons?

jordancha3I

Re: What makes an ionic bond stronger than a covalent bond?

Postby jordancha3I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:50 pm

I believe that ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds because it requires the complete transfer of electrons. It could also be caused by the ion-ion force. Also, in covalent bonds, the electron is shared between two atoms.

Ryan Burchell 3D

Postby Ryan Burchell 3D » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:53 pm

The ionic bonds are stronger because one of the atoms rips the others electron away entirely and the subsequent full difference in charges results in a greater attraction.

Warren Jolicoeur 1B

Postby Warren Jolicoeur 1B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:59 pm

The previous comments have the point down. Complete transfer of electrons creates stronger bonding than covalent bonding (In most cases, N2 is a valid exception, shout out to that triple bond action my guy). This is because both outer shells of each atom are filled instead of having to share an orbital with covalent bonding. This also allows ionic bonds to separate in solution. Getting off topic. My old chem professor made this analogy. Halogens (group 7) are bully's. They enjoy stealing electrons from the victims (groups 1 & 2). They're much larger (think ionization energy) and are ready to take electrons (the alkali metals lunch money).

mmcqueen

Postby mmcqueen » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:05 pm

Ionic bonds involve completely transferring the electrons, forming a cation and an anion and large electrostatic forces of attraction. Ionic bonds therefore have a high melting and boiling point.

Lauren Wasef 3C

Postby Lauren Wasef 3C » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds because the two atoms usually have a greater difference in electronegativity. Don't forget that when an ionic bond is placed in water, they become weaker because the molecule is broken down into ions.

Alice Guey 1B

Postby Alice Guey 1B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:24 pm

Ionic bonds are strong because they form between two atoms of extremely different electronegativities, resulting in the more electronegative atom's "stealing" of the other atom's electrons.

akemiwebster2G

Postby akemiwebster2G » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:25 pm

Ionic bonds are more powerful than covalent connections because they include complete electron transfer and the presence of strong electrostatic forces (short answer)

Cecilia Lei 3K

Postby Cecilia Lei 3K » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 am

Ionic bond I stronger than the covalent bond in some circumstances. Because ionic bond is formed between the positively charged cation and negatively charged anion, they are hold closer between the two. Covalent bond are only shared electrons. But Ionic bond is not stronger than covalent bond in the water.

Elizabeth Kim 2K

Postby Elizabeth Kim 2K » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi! Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds because they involve a complete transfer of electrons, unlike covalent bonds which only share the electrons. Hope this helps!

Kati Rady-Pentek 1E

Postby Kati Rady-Pentek 1E » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds because of the attraction between ions with different full charges, unlike covalent bonds in which the atoms only have partial charges. Ionic compounds then form a crystal lattice structure to maximize the attraction between the ions.

Ainsley McCabe 2D

Postby Ainsley McCabe 2D » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds because the electrons are transferred from one atom to another which allows them to hold them more closely. In a covalent bond the electrons are shared between atoms which results in a weaker bond.

Veronica Larson- 1I

Postby Veronica Larson- 1I » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:21 pm

Ionic bonds are stronger because they have a complete transfer of electrons from one atom to the other, resulting in full charge differences that are very attractive to one another. They result from larger differences in electronegativity between atoms than the difference in covalent bonds.

Sophia Dominguez 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sophia Dominguez 3I » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:40 pm

Ionic bonds form when a nonmetal and metal exchange electrons. Covalent bonds form when electrons are shared between two nonmetals. Atoms form covalent bonds in order to reach a more stable state. Ionic bonds tend to be stronger than covalent bonds because of the mutual attraction between oppositely charged ions (also known as coulombic attraction).

Nicole 3G

Postby Nicole 3G » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 pm

Hi! The ionic bonds are stronger than the covalent bonds because ionic bonds have attraction between the charges. There is also a complete transfer of electrons for ionic bonds. The transfer of electrons versus the sharing of electrons is what causes the ionic bonds to have a stronger bond than the covalent bonds. Covalent bonds only require a small amount of energy to break.

SerenaSabedra

Postby SerenaSabedra » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Not only are electrons being transferred rather than shared, ionic bonds are also formed between two atoms with a large electronegativity difference. This makes them more attracted to each other and unlikely for the bond to break.

Triston Dinh 1D

Postby Triston Dinh 1D » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:23 am

Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds, because there is a stronger attraction between ions that have opposite charges, which is why it takes a lot of energy to separate them. Covalent bonds are bonds that involve the sharing of electron pairs between atoms.

Talia Tam 3L

Postby Talia Tam 3L » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 am

Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons, which result in stronger attraction between differently charged ions. However, when placed in water, ionic bonds may break down due to the polar nature of water.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”