What Determines the Strength of a Bond?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Warren Jolicoeur 1B

What Determines the Strength of a Bond?

Postby Warren Jolicoeur 1B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:15 pm

Hey everyone I was wondering what determines the strength of a bond? Ionic or covalent. I know the amount of electrons taken or shared matters, but does an individual electron from a specific element or orbital carry more energy than another electrons. What exactly is a determining factor of bond strength.

akemiwebster2G

Re: What Determines the Strength of a Bond?

Postby akemiwebster2G » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:17 pm

It increases as the number of electron pairs in the bond increases.

Lexi Tempera 3B

Postby Lexi Tempera 3B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:50 pm

What Warren said is correct. This follows a trend across the periodic table of increasing electron affinity that is associated with bond strength.
Hope this helps!

Jericho Ansay 1C

Postby Jericho Ansay 1C » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi, bond strength does depend on the amount of electron pairs. This is because as an atom gains more electrons, it becomes harder for bonds to break. I believe the strength of the bond does rely more on the core electrons with the valence electrons being the ones that are removed more easily, but yes the bond strength does depend on the electron pairs within an atom.

Kaya L

Postby Kaya L » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:38 pm

If you are referring to the strength of the bonds between two atoms, I would simply say the more atoms they share, the stronger their bond is. I've heard of excited states of atoms becoming more reactive, but the interactions between atoms(the bonding) only happens in the valence shell, so different orbitals usually do not come into play in determining bond strength.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”