Compounds with the least covalent character

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annemarielawrence

Compounds with the least covalent character

Postby annemarielawrence » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:32 am

Can someone remind me what covalent character is and how we can find that? For example, would AgF or AgCl have more covalent character?

claire smith

Re: Compounds with the least covalent character

Postby claire smith » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:47 pm

Covalent character is the equal sharing of electrons, as opposed to ionic/polar character in which sharing is uneven. To determine covalent character of the example you gave, compare the electrongetaivities of the two species in each compound. Because F is more electronegative than Cl, it will pull electrons in the bond more tightly to itself. This means that the electrons will be more less equally shared and the bond will be more polar than the AgCl bond would be.

Tyler_Kim_2G

Postby Tyler_Kim_2G » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:47 pm

I still have to review this, but I think for these types of problems I normally referred to periodic trends. Chlorine is larger than fluorine because it has an extra shell, so its electronegativity is less. Because of this, the electronegativity difference of Ag and Cl is less than Ag and F. As the electronegativity difference gets larger there is less covalent character (greater than 2 is ionic).

Daniel Tabibian 3K

Postby Daniel Tabibian 3K » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:53 pm

To determine covalent character, you would compare the difference in electronegativity. Since F is more electronegative than Cl and farther from Ag on the periodic table, the difference in electronegativity would be greater making it less covalent. Therefore, AgCl would have more covalent character.

PatrickV

Postby PatrickV » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Covalent character is if the electronegativity difference of the atoms is not too great. You can find electronegativity difference for each element online. If the electronegativity difference is more than 1.7 the bond will be ionic. If the electronegativity difference is less than 0.4 the bond will be covalent. An easy way if just comparing covalent character is to see how far apart the elements are on the periodic table because the farther apart they are, the greater the electronegativity difference, thus they have less covalent character.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:42 pm

I think F is the most electronegative element so it would be more ionic.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”